Most shippers recognize the advantages of having alternatives in the marketplace. In fact, two-thirds of all shippers surveyed told Shipware they are open to exploring the use of regional carriers. Research shows that shippers could realize as much up to 40 percent cost savings by using regionals. Underscore that you have fewer assessorial charges than the nationals. It is so much easier it is to negotiate contracts with regionals. But equally important is service. Show customers how you offer a higher level of service, earlier deliveries, later pickups, and a wider Zone 2 footprint for next day delivery.
Shipping costs are one of the biggest expenses for small businesses, but it is possible to reduce them. Here are a few ideas.
1. Negotiate. Shipping carriers will negotiate their rates based on your annual shipping volume. The more you ship, the lower your rate.
2. Know where you’re shipping. If you primarily ship to one specific region, a regional carrier may be your best bet. Regional carriers often provide lower rates than national shipping carrieres because they cover a small geographic area.
3. Use 3rd party insurance. Carriers charge more for shipping insurance than third party companies. Carriers charge about $0.90 for every $100 of insurance, and third party companies charge about $0.55 cents for every $100. This savings can add up, especially if you ship expensive items.
4. Watch out for fees. Depending on the shipping carrier you use, you may be charged for things like Saturday delivery, fuel surcharges, delivery signatures, and residential delivery charges. Understand these fees in advance so that you don’t pay for a delivery feature that isn’t important to you and your customers.
The Advantages of Using UDS as Your Regional Parcel Carrier
Used as a part of a data-driven transportation management system and shipping strategy, the strategic use of regional parcel carriers can have important advantages for your company.
- UDS offers improved customer service at competitive prices. That’s a win-win. Save at 10% or more with a free shipping evaluation.
- Better Customer Experience. At UDS you will always speak to a person not a computer. Need help with a package or delivery let our customer service specialists assist you through our issue management system.
- Excellent service, next-day delivery. The large next-day service area many regional parcel carriers offer for their ground shipping provides the shipper with excellent overall transit time in other words we can deliver faster than national carriers. UDS guarantees next day shipping!
- Proprietary Technology developed with our customers in mind. Real Time Package Visibility through the use of our own proprietary technology such as geocodes, GPS, mapping API’s and other technologies, we are able to offer total visibility into the delivery process.